Autonomous Vehicle Operator
Locations: San Francisco, Mountain View, Phoenix and Pittsburgh
- Overview: Responsible for operating and evaluating either a manually-driven, or self-driving vehicle in autonomous mode, for six to eight hours per day in 1 to 2 hour stints, including collecting data and providing feedback. Our team has developed a strong team culture of safety, professionalism and personal responsibility; we expect all team members to adhere to team standards of conduct. Mechanical knowledge and a proficiency in automotive maintenance is recommended.
- Reports to: Test Fleet Manager(s)
- Essential Job Functions:
- Operate vehicles with safety as a primary goal, daily.
- Monitor automated driving software and systems.
- Operate a vehicle 6-8 hours per day in 1 to 2 our stints, 4-5 days per week.
- Respond rapidly to high pressure situations while maintaining professionalism.
- Provide concise, clear, and accurate verbal and written feedback regarding the vehicle’s operations.
- Complete daily reports and document procedures and tests in a scientific, consistent fashion.
- Interact with, and educate the public on self-driving technology.
- Work independently, as well as in small groups of 2-10 people.
- Complete simple mechanical tasks, both scheduled and unplanned, en route.
- Additional Expectations:
- Qualifications / Requirements:
- Must be 21 years old.
- Minimum of 5 years driving experience on public roads. More is recommended.
- Valid driver's license from the state in which test operations are occuring.
- Must meet driver requirements, including driving record & criminal history, under applicable regulations and laws in the state (s) in which the self-driving vehicle operator will be working.
- Must comply with our zero-tolerance policy regarding the use of alcohol or drugs by self-driving vehicle operators during a shift, including randomized drug testing.
- Must be able to work either early mornings, evenings, and/or weekends, as well as overnight shifts and travel for up to one month at a time, according to a pre-planned schedule.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. The ability to type at least 40 words per minute is recommended.
- Must be capable of adapting to ever-evolving technology in a fast-paced work environment.
- Must be proficient at using a computer and touchscreen tablet, as well as using GSuite (Gmail, Hangouts, and Drive, including Sheets and Docs).
- Must be capable of performing simple mechanical tasks, on the road, including basic maintenance.